Sunday, April 3, 2011

Race Recap and a Winner

Running friends and the cheering section!
Today was the Knoxville Marathon and Half Marathon.  I ran the half. It was a wonderful day for a race - a little chilly at the start, but nice and mild by the time we'd run a few miles.  We got to the start line with just a few minutes to spare, thanks to my stomach.  I had an upset stomach all night (in spite of eating carefully) and I had to take two Immodium before I left the house.  This doesn't usually bode well for a race, but I was committed, so there was nothing else to do but go on.

The corrals were very crowded, and I got into my usual 10+ minutes per mile corral.  The first mile was very congested, and I was dodging people right and left.  It was a slow mile, because you just couldn't get moving.   Once we passed the first mile I said goodbye to my training partner and started pushing the speed.  She was doing a training run and didn't want to push, so we arranged to meet at the finish line.

Our friend Kate (the tallest girl in the photo at the top of the post) is expecting a baby soon, and so she did not run.  But she came out to cheer us on, and since she was very familiar with the course, she caught us about every three miles.  It was amazing! She is the best cheerleader on the planet.  My niece stayed with Kate and the two of them were very motivating!

I was still dodging people right and left, and I looked at my Garmin and saw that I was running about 9:20.  This is a good pace for me, but it felt good so I just kept going.  I slowed a little on the hills, but never got over 10:00.  I stopped for a potty break at mile 6 (which, incidentally, was under the hour mark), but was still going strong.

I kept up the sub:10-minute miles up until about mile 11.  Just before the 11-mile point my back tightened up and my stomach started cramping.  I stopped at the next porta-potty, but that didn't help. I got a Gu, thinking that the sugar might help my stomach, but it didn't.  It felt like my Immodium was wearing off, and I still had two miles to go.  This was not good.  There was nothing to do but finish, though.  I slowed down to about an 11:30 pace (very slow for me these days) and plodded along through mile 11 and mile 12.  Even so, I hit mile 12 at two hours - again, very good for me.  At mile 13, I told myself that I had less than 15 minutes to run and I was able to push myself and speed up to about a 10:50 pace.  Still slow, but better.  

I finished the run in 2:14:13 per my Garmin. I'd hoped for 2:10 or better, but this was all I had in me today.  On the other hand, I finished. And then couldn't find a potty to save my life after reaching the finish line - let's just say that I was very close to needing a shower instead of a potty by the time I finally found one.  My back was very sore, but the post-race party featured an assisted stretching area with trainers and physical therapists to help you stretch out the soreness.  I stopped by while I was waiting for my training partner to finish, but I didn't think it would help much. Boy, was I wrong! The deep stretches really helped and I was much less tight when I finished. I always forget how good a post-run stretch feels! I really need to stretch more often.

I'm not unhappy with today even though it was not entirely what I'd hoped for, because I am just two weeks out from re-injuring my back and I had the raging trots (I know - TMI!) all night.  I can tell I'm getting stronger - I was able to keep up the sub-10:00 miles during the first ten miles.  I'm not at all sure I'd have been able to continue beyond that even if it hadn't been for the other issues, because I'm still building my speed and endurance, and ten miles of hard running is the most I've done to date. So, odds are good that I was going to slow down at mile 11 no matter what.

I think I want to do another half sometime in May or June, just to see what I can do with it.  I'm convinced that I can (someday) pull off a sub-2:00:00 marathon.  Not in May or June, but surely within the next year.  That's my goal, anyway.  We'll see!

And, now that you've read my whiny post, I know you want to know about the giveaway!  Well, I found some great things while shopping, so I chose two numbers.  First, number 43, is Kim, who just ran her first half-marathon today!  Kim posted: "I am a follower!"  Second, number 106, is Kristen, who wrote: "I Facebooked the giveaway!"  I have just started reading Kristen's blog, and she is newly hooked on the half-marathon, as well.  Kristen and Kim, please contact me at trp100329(at)cs.com so we can get those Easter "baskets" on the way!  A great big thank you to everyone who entered, and wait 'til you see what I come up with in May! :)


22 comments:

  1. Way to keep going and finish despite feeling sick! I have complete faith that you will do a sub-2 half and I can't wait to read about it when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!! Thank you so much!
    Love the recap. You did fantastic! It was a GREAT day for an awesome race! You will most definitely get that sub 2 half. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I hate that poopy feeling during a run (esp a race!) but I usually get it from eating too many GUs.

    You had such an awesome first 11 miles - what a great pace!! Sorry the last bit didn't work out as well as it could have, but at least you didn't poop your pants - HOORAY for good things like that :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. bummed to hear about your tummy issues...but, super excited that you did it! and i think that was awesome timing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, everybody! It was a good day for a run, and my next one will be faster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. for whatever reason i always think you live near me. so i was like "where's knoxville in new england?" hahahah

    great race under the conditions. stomach cramps are the worst! way to stay strong and finish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good race! I know it's not what you were hoping for, but I think it's awesome!!! I wish that I could run that pace! My 'normal' pace is like 11:00!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job with the half! I'm sorry that your tummy was acting icky. Hope you feel better now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. September 2011. Chicago Half Marathon. Sub-2 hour.

    I can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, Terri! You did great!!!
    let me know what half you're considering for May or June. I have an open schedule but would like to do one in each of those months, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! A 1/2 is a big accomplishment, especially when feeling wonky.

    BTW--something I use instead of immodium is peppermint oil tablets. I find they are easier on the system. Just something you might want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! You started off really strong and brought it home, even when not feeling well. That's a great accomplishment! My last half marathon had an assisted stretching tent at the finish line and it felt wonderful. I hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!!!! And way to push through feeling sick. Do another one in May - and I say this for purely selfish reasons because I'm doing my next one in May :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You guys are the best - thanks to all of you for making me feel better about my effort! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello again! Just wanted to let you know that I've tagged you with a Stylish Blogger Award!

    ReplyDelete
  16. UGH sorry about the stomach issues! Still, great race : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awwww that's a great time considering how crapola you were feeling. what a bummer but way to push thru and finish!
    I know you have a sub 2 half in you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh, I thought I had commented earlier, sorry :(.
    I know the race didn't pan out exact as hoped, but it was a great effort considering how much you had going on - ugh. I think we've all been down that road. Hang in there girl and find out what works best for your tummy!!
    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like a difficult race but you still did it! And 2:14 is a very good time by the way! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just wondering if you're ok, havent seen a new post in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on the half marathon finish! Good luck on a sub-2 this summer. It's been my observation that consistency is the key to faster race times. If you can get quality and consistent training runs in before your next half then you will probably meet you goal. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete