Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Biggest Loser


Ok, I admit it - I'm kind of hooked on The Biggest Loser.  It's my "guilty pleasure" television show.  I know that there is a lot of controversy regarding the safety of their methods, and I know that not everyone is a fan.  I tune in anyway.


I tune in because I think it's fabulous that these contestants are learning to be active, and inspiring people in their communities to be active.  I tune in because I find personal inspiration in watching them work out.  If they can work that hard, what have I got to whine about?  But mostly I tune in because I love seeing people get a second chance, and for some of these folks it really IS a second chance.

I do wish, though, that there were no elimination.  And I wish that, after the challenges, everybody got letters from home, or phone calls, or whatever.  And I wish the emphasis was less about the number on the scale and more about regaining your health and reclaiming your life.  I'd still watch it, because I love watching the transformation from overweight and unhappy to fit and athletic.  I wish they'd let us follow every contestant down that road.

In spite of what I dislike, though, I am going to go home and watch The Biggest Loser tonight.  And next time I'm on the treadmill or out on the road, I'm going to remember that there are folks out there who are twice my weight, working just as hard as I am.  And I'm going to stop whining and keep running.

Do you have a "guilty pleasure" television show, or snack, or whatever?  If you do, please share!

12 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im a big fan of biggest loser as well - I agree that the extreme of the show is shocking but what I love is watching the contestants have their AHA moment. The moment when they finally realize the "why" of how they got to where they were and can fix the mind set not just the calories and workouts. I also get great strength training moves on there - that jump up thing they do is one of my favorites. I also love to see when they finally start to like themselves - they start to glow and you can see how much happier they are then when their eyes are blank.

    I will be watching tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm a fan of TBL too. but sadly watching it online is next to impossible so i haven't been following for quite sometime. bummer. i only make sure to follow two shows now: ncis and the office!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Steve.

    Christina, that jump thing is INTENSE! :)

    MM, we are fans of NCIS, too, although I don't catch The Office very often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that show too even tho I don't watch it a lot. I can't believe the amount of weight those people lose and how great they look. They really inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susie, I hope your back is feeling better! And the weight loss IS amazing - I just wish they'd focus less on that and more on fitness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do LOVE Biggest Loser! I have some of the same thoughts/feelings as you shared about the show. And about working harder, gosh I am the worst about giving in to this or that when it comes to my running, but now you have definitely given me something else to think about on my next run. If those people can work hard then I know I can. I WILL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, I find it easy to give in to my discomfort or fatigue on the run, too - it really does help to picture other people working hard. Just don't push to the point of injury, okay? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy TBL but have to admit I haven't been paying much attention to it this season. The transformations are amazing though.
    Thanks for entering and linking my giveaway! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marcia, I love your blog and I'm (more than a little!) envious of your speed! Thanks for hosting the giveaway - Melissa needs compression socks, so I hope we win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Biggest Loser too. I think it's inspiring, and I think those who put it down are people who wouldn't be willing to put the work in that the contestants do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandra, the contestants do work awfully hard, don't they? I think you're onto something there! :)

    ReplyDelete