Saturday, November 6, 2010

Eating on the Run

I am not a fan.  I'm not talking about eating when you're rushed for time (although I'm not a fan of that, either) - I'm talking about actual food eaten during a run.  Blech.  The last thing I want to do on a long run is eat.  The result of this is that I tend to bonk on a long training run, and I'm a little worried about the marathon I have coming up in 64 (!!!!!) days.

Gu is quick and easy, and I know a lot of endurance athletes swear by it, but I don't like it.  I really don't.  I've even tried freezing it, and it wouldn't stay frozen long enough to make a difference.

So, I'm trying different products over the next few weeks to see what I can at least tolerate during a long run.  So far Sport Beans are my favorite.  They're small enough to be easy to eat, they taste good and they're fun.












I read an article that suggested Fig Newtons as a mid-race fuel source.  I'm a Fig Newton kind of gal, so I'm going to try that, too.












I've also heard that some people eat bananas in the middle of the race - I like bananas, but they seem a little bulky, and I'd hate to put the peel back in my Camelbak.  I'd also hate to just throw it on the ground.

So - what is your solution to the mid-run refuel dilemma?

6 comments:

  1. Try Goo-chomps! They are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started running I went to the running store and bought one of each thing they sell for eating while running - the beans, the gummies, bars, Gu and the other versions of Gu. Turns out I cant chew and run... not possible, cant do it. I hated the other versions of Gu... but Gu tasted like icing to me... I only like the chocolate and the vanilla though. All other flavors are GROSS.

    I would suggest you try different flavors and different brands of each thing during your practice runs and see what you think.

    The last half I did there were spots every few miles where they had potatoe chips, bananas and gu. Im guessing with the chips and bananas they people would take a quick break. I stuck to the gu.

    I have also realized that I have to have something every 5 miles or so... sometimes I try at 60 min and then every 30 min after that.

    I was STARVING the entire day afterwards though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sisterbison, I have some of those to try tomorrow! We'll see how it goes.

    Christina, maybe I should try some vanilla Gu - if it tasted like icing I could probably handle it. It's the warm fruity gel thing that I can't do. Blech!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do clif shot blocks and cut them in 1/2 which makes them easier to eat. Not the best tasting, but they keep my from bonking! I should say too that I make myself eat the margarita ones for the extra sodium since I'm a huge salty sweater. But, the black cherry taste pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a Gu fan. I've only tried it once and I think the flavor I tried was just entirely too sweet for me. I tried the vanilla thinking I would like it because I love cupcakes and frosting. haha I do LOVE me some Gu Chomps though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not like the gels. I'm kinda new to this 'eating-on-the-run" thing but so far have found that drinking gatorade on the run helps, and I enjoy a few pretzels and Clif Shot Blocks (cut in half). Sharkies taste great, but they really got stuck in my teeth and I didn't enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete