Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Speed Envy

I have a confession to make.  I have speed envy.  I really do.  I've had it for as long as I can remember.  I have always wanted to be able to run really fast.  Now, biology is against me on this one - I am less than five feet tall, and I have short, stocky legs.  I have not one speck of athletic talent in my entire body.  There's really no hope for any real speed.

Even when I was in the Army, at my fittest, I could run (at best) 8 minute miles. I always easily passed the physical fitness test but never could get the maximum score on the run.  

I'm not going to let a silly thing like a lack of speed stop me, though.  I started running again about fifteen months ago.  Here's a photo of me at that point - I'm the short one on the left.

See those tall, pretty girls standing beside me? They aren't really tall - it's just that my particular talent is making everyone around me look tall!

And, a little more than a year later, here I am again - this time on the right:




Melissa isn't that tall, either, but she looks it next to me!  I told you that was my talent!

In the last sixteen months I have lost 18 pounds and gone from running 1-2 miles at a time to finishing two half marathons.  Now, to be fair, I'm not exactly a newbie runner.  I had simply let my running lapse for many years.  But I'm still proud of what Melissa and I have accomplished.  

I haven't dieted, either, but I find that the more I run the more careful I am about choosing whole, healthy foods.  I'm never hungry, though, and I probably eat more now than I did a year and a half ago.  My metabolism has changed and my appetite has changed.

So, while I haven't seen an appreciable difference in speed (and I probably never will), I am pleased with the changes I have seen.  And I'll continue to push myself with interval training and hill work and tempo runs.  And if any of you have a little pace magic, could you pass it along?

Big Fat Greek Marathon Fund: $62.50
Goal: Unknown (they send out information in February)
Days until our next race: 2

8 comments:

  1. I have speed envy also. :) what a great post on keeping it real!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! just keep plugging away with the intervals. you're lucky in a way to be short as you can get really great turnover which = going fast

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri - this made me laugh!! I have this too. And I'm short!! Lol. At least we still go out there and run. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kim! :)

    MM, I will - but it can be frustrating when the results come so slowly!

    MsXJ, I saw your photos and they were adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are doing great Terri. You hang in there and keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Susie! I hope your back is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have serious speed envy but I am short and well, for lack of better words....fat! haha I have a lot against me but thank goodness I have the drive so at least for now I'd like to work on endurance and miles (hint hint)! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, my dear, you are not fat. This is East Tennessee and I have seen more than my share of obese people since I have been here. You and I have room to improve, in terms of muscle building and body fat, but we are steadily working on it, aren't we? Like you, I'm glad I have endurance but just ONCE I'd like to run 5 miles in 30 minutes! :)

    ReplyDelete