Monday, November 22, 2010

So Maybe It Is The Illness... (Updated)

...because strength training (which I usually find ridiculously easy even if I'm lifting the max amount of weight I can to finish ten reps) was a bit of a struggle this morning.  I got through it - 45 minutes, anyway - so I guess that's something.  But I felt weak and tired.  Maybe it's the virus, maybe it's the after-effect of the suck that was yesterdays' run. Who knows?


I also spent about ten minutes with the foam roller and a few minutes stretching.  And the post-workout shower cleared my head, and I'm very glad now that I didn't just take the morning off.  Then I treated myself to a skim milk mocha at the Starbuck's in the hospital lobby.  Just because!

(Update) - And now that my friend Kim has updated her blog, I can tell you about Saturday!  Some time ago, I saw a comment on another blog in which Kim gave her location - and it is literally right up the road from where I live!  How often does that happen?  :)  So, of course I got in touch with her, and she was gracious enough to agree to meet us for a run.

Melissa and I love the social aspect of a run - although we have somewhat different running styles - I tend to go like crazy until I drop, while Melissa is the voice of reason in this friendship - we share that love of the group run.  So, we met Kim and took her to one of our favorite (albeit challenging) local runs.

We ran a fairly fast five miles on a very hilly course.  We took a few walk breaks, to be sure, but we definitely worked up a sweat and pushed ourselves to conquer those hills.  Kim was great!  She pushed herself all the way to the finish - she's certainly a better runner than she thinks she is! :)  We're all getting together again for a Thanksgiving run in a few days - 8K, here we come!

If you get a minute, take a look at Kim's blog - she has a really cute hairband giveaway that's worth checking out.  And she has cute kids! :)

Happy Monday, Everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! Thank you so much for the kind words and the encouragement! You guys definitely motivated me and I am thankful for that. :) I'm super excited for Thursday. What an awesome way to start Thanksgiving day....friends and a great run!

    I seriously hope you have this bug shaken and are feeling better fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i bet it's the virus. i always feel weaker on strength stuff when i'm fighting something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Just read your Outer Banks recap, such a fun time. I agree, the race was very well organized and I was pleasantly surprised by the degree of community involvement in the race. So many people decorated their houses and cheered us on from their front porches. Simply a great time! Congrats on your 2:28 finish, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kim - I'm sure it can't last much longer! :)

    MM, that's what I think it is, for that very reason!

    Shannon, your recap was great - all the photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got some redemption from that long crampy run. I HATE that. Hopefully next week's will be better for you. They usually are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, SUAR! :) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete