Friday, December 31, 2010

Goals for 2011 (NOT Resolutions!)

This last year has been wonderful.  I have worked like a dog, at times, and fallen short of what I hoped to do (more than once), but overall I'm not unhappy.  In 2011 I took on my dream job (teaching at the graduate level), and found my running mojo again (we ran two half marathons in 2010!), and lost 18 pounds (not lot of weight, I know, but please remember that I am very short! So it represented a change from a size 6-8 to a size 2-4 for me.  That's pretty significant!).

And it's time to set some goals for 2011 - I refuse to call them resolutions because I am never good at keeping resolutions.  I am goal oriented, though - I know, semantics, but whatever works, right? They have to be reasonable goals, because I start my doctoral coursework in January and I can't afford to compromise that at all.  But, I don't want this to be a repeat of anesthesia school, where I barely exercised and ate crap and gained weight.  So, sensible goals are in order.

Here goes:

1. Run 1200 miles in 2011.  I thought about trying to run 2011 miles in 2011, and then I calculated up the weekly mileage required, and looked at my schedule, and, well, nah! I think 100 miles a month is more sensible.

2. Do three destination races in 2011.  The first is Disney, in January.  The second is probably Louisville, Kentucky in April (I think Melissa has her heart set on that one) and the third is St. Jude, in Memphis in December.  If I find a cool summer/early fall destination run I'll certainly add that to the mix, but if not, three is good.

3. Complete a triathlon (or two!) - I have my eyes on a couple of local ones that are supposed to be noob-friendly.

4. Lose five or six more pounds.  I really think that dropping five more pounds will significantly impact my speed. I don't need to be a speed demon (as if!) or set any records. I'd really just like to (someday!) get back to my 8-9 minute/mile pace!

5. Get serious about the strength work.  It doesn't take a lot, nor a long time and there's really no excuse for not working in a couple of strength-training sessions a week. I want her back:


6. Find yoga again - I used to love, love, love it and I stopped practicing and my life is poorer without it.  

7. Complete one sewing project every two months.  I thought about one a month, but it is really tough to work full-time and study and train AND get a big sewing project done in just four weekends, particularly if (like my current project) it's a quilt. My creative side needs an outlet, though, and there's so much beautiful fabric in the world and so little time to play with it! So, a project every 8 weeks is probably manageable.

I feel like I'm cheating with these goals a little bit, because I was doing many of these things before the holiday and my bout of illness and injury.  But knowing that I am capable of them means (hopefully) that I'm likely to keep doing them, and 2011 is going to be a great year!

If you haven't entered my giveaway yet, please do so - there's still time! 

14 comments:

  1. anchor splash was a great one. it was sorta short but very newbie friendly. well except for the "b" that made fun of my bike. that wasn't the races's fault though. not everyone can have a super cool kickstand like me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somebody made fun of your bike? How lame. Was she, like, 12? I have a kickstand, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list and full of things you will surely accomplish! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your goals. I need to make some too. I'm not a resolution person. If I kept resolutions my house wouldn't look like a bomb went off in it.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great goals! I like the destination races idea and love yoga. I wish I could sew...and I thought you were joking about anesthesia school (like it was school that put you to sleep, not a real progam...ha,ha!)
    Ok, now, get to the good stuff and pick me, pick me!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Miss Z! :)

    Marcia, I am ashamed to admit that my house often looks rather like a bomb went off in it, too!

    Kim, if you knew how easy sewing is, you;d be amazed! And some of the books on anesthesia ARE enough to put you to sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice goals!! Looking forward to reading as you check them off.

    Incidentally, I was in JoAnn's recently waiting in a VERY long line to get some frilly ribbon cut for my Halloween costume when I found myself thinking I should take up sewing. Who knows, one of these days, I just might!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year!! I like your goals for 2011!! I know that you will succeed in all of them, I look forward to reading your updates on your goals! BTW sewing rocks! I used to make my own dresses and patchwork quilts, but gave that up to concentrate on studies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Terri, for your comments on my blog and following me! I really appreciate the support. I used your "goals" instead of resolution idea and posted the same. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leah, the thing I love most about sewing is that you can customize anything to your taste - and there are wonderful online tutorials to help!

    Thank you, Neeks! I look forward to seeing what you're up to in 2011!

    E, I'll definitely stop by and take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your goals, goals keep us focused and driven so I think you got the right mix in there to not overdo it and yet keep you motivated. And if you ever want a destination race in Colorado, we have plenty and you have a place to stay :).

    Happy New Year, Terri!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jill, thank you! I may take you up on that one of these days - we love Colorado. I lived in Aurora for awhile in the early 90's. Had a blast with all the outdoorsy/active things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your goals! And I love that you don't call them resolutions, but goals. I do the same! I hope 2011 brings you much success and lots of happiness! Can't wait to add to my miles with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kim, great run yesterday! :) I know you don't believe me, but I promise you it was a good one!

    ReplyDelete