Monday, December 6, 2010

Trying a Tri


In the back of my mind, for probably ten years, has been the desire to complete a triathlon.  Melissa doesn't really share that desire, although she is a good training partner and puts up with my craziness.  And I think I may have really lost it this time.  I have decided, with a little urging from a few friends, including Mike (who is dropping hints about a spectacular giveaway, so keep an eye on his blog!), to try a tri in the spring.

What that means is that I have to incorporate biking and running into my training this winter.  Today was the first day of my triathlon training program. It was 27 degrees, dark and blowing snow outside when I got up at 4:45 this morning, so I headed for the gym.

I spent 25 minutes on the bike.  It was challenging, but not overly so - I think I attained a RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion) of 5-6, so it was a moderate workout.  The hardest part of biking, though (other than the fact that I am a complete klutz at it) is not that my legs ache.  It's (and there's no delicate way to say this) that my butt hurts.  Yes, I think I'm going to have to toughen up the ol' posterior if this tri thing is going to work.  That, or wear extremely padded biking shorts!

After my short stint on the bike, I changed and headed for the pool.  Now, my gym has a pool, but it is not Olympic-sized.  In fact, it's about the size of the pools commonly found in back yards in Florida.  So, I am ashamed to tell you that I did just fifteen laps in the pool in twenty minutes, and that's all I had.  On the other hand, I managed fifteen laps in the pool and I haven't done anything other than recreational swimming for more than thirty years.  Oh, and I spent five minutes in the hot tub before I hit the showers - it felt so good on my aching back!

Total workout time - 45 minutes.  And it felt like a complete waste of time, because I didn't pound out any miles on the treadmill.  I know that it wasn't a waste of time, though, and I know that I have to get out of that "running is the only worthwhile exercise" mindset, because it simply isn't true.

Also, today would normally have been an off day because I ran long yesterday, so at least I was moving and burning calories on what would normally be a wasted day.  And the pool room at the gym was nice and warm - it really felt good to get in the water.  All in all, not a terrible first triathlon training workout.  I know I still have a long way to go!  

Those of you that bike - any hints about the posterior soreness thing?  I have a feeling that that might be the most challenging part of the triathlon for me!

Big Fat Greek Marathon Fund: $62.50
Goal: Unknown (they send out information in February)
Days until next race: 35 (Disney!!!) 

7 comments:

  1. The posterior soreness is exactly what keeps me off the bike. I just figured it was my overly large backside though. But since you're a tiny little thing and also experiencing the soreness in the bum I guess it doesn't matter how much extra padding big booty girls like me has....riding a bike with a seat 1/4 the size of my butt is just going to be painful!! ;)
    Great job with the workout!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, you are not alone, and I am far from tiny! You and I are pretty close to the same size - I'm just the shorter version! And I haven't tried the padded bike shorts yet - maybe after Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can put up with the sore butt - I'm just not a big fan of swimming - except of course in Hawaii in which case - I did it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! :) That's why I'm trying to do the swim stuff on days when we're ordinarily off or on our own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not that I'm any queen of the bike by any means, but if I try to distribute my weight so less of it is on my butt and more is on my hands and feet I am less sore. My Bondiband is off to you for getting in the pool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip, Marcia! :) I'll try that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i did a tri in the fall. pick a short one to start with. also get in the water every chance you get. the more you're in there the more comfortable/better you'll get.

    as for the bottom, with spin class it just took a few times and i got tougher.

    ReplyDelete